Saint-Josse-Ten-Noode , LA CULTURELLE
At the north-eastern end of the city of Brussels, Saint-Josse-Ten-Noode is the smallest and most densely populated commune in the Brussels region. Its population is surprisingly diverse, both from a cultural (different foreign origins) and social point of view.
From the very beginning (1295), Saint-Josse was part of the 'Brussels tank', a free zone that remained until 1795. Situated between the Maelbeek and Senne rivers, it was rural for a long time (a holiday resort for the Lords) and much larger. It became urbanised and had to sell part of its territory to pay off debts following disastrous management at the end of the 19th century. On its border with the city of Brussels, it has a few places that are worth a visit: the former Botanical Gardens, the former Brussels Observatory. The Madou and Saint-Josse squares attracted many artists and French exiles (1848). From the 19th century, the commune has kept its architectural character. Only the northern district saw its landscape radically changed at the end of the 20th century to accommodate practically only offices.
Photos : Pascal Abundes