Residence formalities



The stay of foreign nationals in Belgium is subject to strict rules and procedures. The sole purpose of this chapter is to give an overview and inform newcomers of the steps to be taken systematically. EU citizens have the right to stay in Belgium for more than 3 months:


  • As an employee, with a certificate from your employer.
  • As a self-employed worker, you must be registered with the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises, or have a company number, and be affiliated to a social insurance fund for self-employed workers.
  • As a job seeker.
  • As a person with sufficient resources who has taken out health insurance covering all risks in Belgium.
  • As a student with health insurance covering all risks in Belgium and with sufficient resources not to become a burden on the Belgian welfare system during their stay.


If you find yourself in one of these situations, you should apply to the local authority in the place where you live for registration within three months of your arrival in Belgium.


If you cannot prove that you are a citizen of the Union, your application will not be considered.


Non-European nationals must present the following documents for their stay:


  • A copy of your valid passport or travel document in lieu of a passport.
  • Proof that they have sufficient means of subsistence, the duration of their employment as a worker and, where applicable, the employer's VAT number.
  • Proof of payment of the fee (358 ).
  • A police record certificate or equivalent document, provided that the non-European national is over 18 years of age.
  • A medical certificate.
  • Proof that the non-European national has health insurance covering all risks in Belgium for himself/herself and the members of his/her family.
  • Nationals in this category may need a VISA. A VISA gives permission to reside in Belgium or to travel there for a specified period. Find out more from the Belgian Embassy in the country where you live.
  • The Aliens Office may request additional information and documents.



To find out more, click here:

The sites listed below are very well done and represent a mine of information to read before moving to Belgium. Official Information and Services : foreigners/residence_documents


Skip to content