Jette, THE FAMILY
Jette is a very family-friendly municipality. It has been divided in two by the railway line since the middle of the 19th century. The northern part contains numerous parks (almost 125 ha): to the north, the Dieleghem woods, from west to east, the Laerbeek woods, Poelbos, King Baudouin Park and Youth Park. There are also new housing estates built from the 1958 World Fair to more recent times (2000s). The south is more densely urbanised and has many art deco buildings.
Jette was first mentioned in 1095 in the foundation charter of the abbey of Dieleghem. This monastery played an important role in the municipality from the Middle Ages until the French Revolution. Since 1659, Jette and Ganshoren (together with Hamme, Releghem and Bever) have been united in a county - St. Peter-Jette - owned by the lords of Rivieren Castle. The two entities separated in 1841.
Photos : Pascal Abundes