Berchem-Sainte-Agathe , THE SURPRISING
Berchem-Sainte-Agathe has been part of the bilingual Brussels region since 1954. The municipality offers a friendly environment. It has preserved some rural corners. This is the case of the neighbourhood surrounding one of its two historic hearts: the former church located in the rue de l'Allée verte. The municipality is dotted with numerous green spaces: among them, the Zavelenberg to the north, the Kattebroeck to the west, and the Wilder wood to the south (all three linked by the green walk proposed by Brussels Environment).
Berchem appeared around the 10th-11th centuries and was first mentioned in the 12th century. The etymology of Berchem refers to a "mountain" (berg) with an addition meaning "enclosure" (hem). For a long time, its activities were characterised by agriculture and stone extraction (sedimentary sandstone). The village developed from two centres: the former church and the Place Docteur Schweitzer, formerly a town square, near the very old Chaussée de Gand. The village became part of Koekelberg, which it separated from in 1841.
Photos : Pascal Abundes